As this blog is posted my wife, eldest son and myself are on a plane en route to China (leaving behind our 3-year old and 18-month old with Papa and JuJu). In mid-December of last year we began the arduous international adoption process. After just a few months we were placed with a little boy with a cleft lip/palate who turned two-years-old in July. Less than 11 months later here we are, anticipating our meeting of Kai on November 5th to bring him home with us.
The following was a short journal entry I wrote as my wife and I considered whether or not to begin this process.
To the question, WHY ADOPT?
Journal entry thoughts from December 4, 2011
· Children are a BLESSING from the Lord by which we have the opportunity to raise and instruct them in the ways of Christ, thus, making disciples of Jesus.
· As an act of JUSTICE. Justice is very near the heart of God as it is all throughout Scripture. Thus, to participate in caring for an orphaned child is very pleasing to the Lord. As one who desires to live for that which brings glory to God, this is one small way to participate in pleasing Him.
· Simply because I sense the Lord LEADING us to have a 4th child. Not our will but Your will be done. This is not our decision but Your decision. We submit ourselves to the Lord.
· To express a heart for the NATIONS. How thankful and excited I am for an international adoption for this reason alone: because God loves the nations, thus do we! And to be able to participate in God’s redemptive work among the nations via adoption into our family is a wonderful gift. Thank You, Lord! How my heart rejoices that the nations will know that You are the Lord!
· As a THANKFUL EXPRESSION of love, mercy, grace, and yes, Your adoption of us into your family such that we become Your children through Christ. In a similar manner so do we fashion our lives after You and Your likeness. Our adoption of a child is but a glimpse of Your adoption of us.
To Your glory, O Lord, do we seek to live!