CLDI seeks to transform lives and empower the people of South Billings to do good works through the person of Jesus Christ.
An Umbrella for Vision
CLDI is a legal not-for-profit entity that functions as a means by which the gospel of Jesus Christ may be proclaimed in word and deed. In doing so, CLDI functions to serve as an umbrella organization to host individuals and ministries to serve the community and world beyond.
CLDI was incorporated in 1981 and has been at work to rebuild lives, restore families, and re-neighbor communities in Billings’ oldest and most marginalized community, the South Side. Our work as a not-for-profit began when we bought and renovated a grocery store to house a weight room, a youth center for at-risk youth, and a Mexican restaurant. These efforts helped us to both build relationships and serve South Side residents. Since then, we’ve done a wide array of works to fulfill our mission of fostering transformation in the lives of individuals and families. As the needs of South Billings have become increasingly apparent, CLDI’s efforts have included work with at-risk youth and families, job training, mentoring and discipleship, GED assistance, internships, provision of affordable housing, and transitional housing for persons in need.
The Work of CLDI
The primary works of CLDI focus on the following venues:
- Community Revitalization – CLDI is committed to seek the shalom of our city, and in particular, the South Side community. Shalom is a Hebrew word meaning wholeness, completeness, wellness, and welfare. As the people of God, we are called to seek the shalom of those we live among, especially among the most marginalized and vulnerable. To do so means that we seek to live with kingdom principles that not only impact our own lives, but also of those we live among, whether friend or foe. In being salt and light, we are to live in such a way that others may see our good works and give glory to God in heaven. Therefore, we seek the welfare of the people, places, and institutions among us – schools, governments, businesses, neighbors and personal affairs – so as to fulfill the two great commandments to love God with all of our being and to love our neighbor as ourselves as we long to point all people to a life of knowing, loving, and following Jesus.
- Outreach – True to the core of our DNA, CLDI seeks to serve individuals and places that have experienced the margins of isolation, neglect, and brokenness. In identifying the South Side as one of the most marginalized communities of our city, the South Side has been our “home” since the late 1970’s. Much of our work is largely relationally driven as we look for opportunities to reach out into the community and work with neighbors to identify and address any needs that exist. Through the practice of immersing ourselves among those we serve, it is our desire to build relationships and do life together as we seek to share with others the hope, love, joy, and purpose we have found in the person of Jesus.
- Discipleship– Through all of our various efforts in the community, our aim is to make Jesus the Hero of the story as we call people to the abundant life found only in Him. As we make disciples to know and follow the teachings of Jesus, lives will be transformed in heart, mind, body, and soul as they embrace His kingdom principles. Not only will individual lives be transformed by the power of the gospel, but as disciples who in turn make disciples, families and communities will be impacted as they experience God’s peace, God’s rule, and God’s justice, both now and in the time to come.
The CLDI Family
- Eric Basye, Executive Director
- Karri Hallock, Financial Administrator/Site Manager
- Miriam Stahl, Property Manager
- Anna Fowler, Assistant Property Manager/Administrative Specialist
- Kaylee Thompson, Youth Works Director
- Ashley Hatmaker, Youth Works Staff
- Fred Nelson, Eleos Group Director
- Joan Nelson, Eleos Group
- Lisa Reinschmidt, Development & Hannah House Ministries Director
- Muriah Stahl, Hannah House Director
Where We Are Located
Our new building is at 24 S 29th St