Foundations of CLDI
- Jesus-Focused. In all things, CLDI seeks to be an organization focused on the person of Jesus Christ for He alone is the way, the truth and the life. Thus, we exalt His humanity and divinity and seek to become like Him in all regards.
- Gospel-Oriented. As Jesus came to share the gospel in both His word and deed, so does CLDI seek to proclaim the gospel in similar fashion. In both speaking the gospel and living out the gospel as His saints, we believe that individuals have the opportunity to experience and know the person of Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- Kingdom-Driven. The gospel is good news of the Kingdom of God. This reality of God’s Kingdom is one that can be experienced in-part now through the person of Jesus and will be experienced fully upon Christ’s return. Therefore, as His disciples, we seek to abide by the new realities and principles of His Kingdom here in this world, ensuring God’s peace, God’s rule, and God’s justice.
- Transformed-Lives. Ultimately, our desire is to call all people to the abundant life found only in the person of Jesus. As individuals come to follow the teachings of Jesus as His disciples, we believe that individual lives will be transformed to be in line with His Kingdom principles. As a result, not only will individuals be transformed by the power of the gospel, but so also will families and communities as a whole.
- Church-Centered. Scripture leads us to a deep conviction, love, and devotion to the Church as the Body and Bride of Christ. In calling people to a life of discipleship, CLDI affirms the vital role of the “church,” both the invisible church (all believers, everywhere, of all time) as well as the visible church (the local gathering of believers), in the life of every disciple of Jesus. As we labor to proclaim the gospel and make disciples of Jesus Christ, we are committed to encourage those we disciple to participate and engage a Bible teaching church.
- Incarnationally-Based. As Jesus Himself emptied Himself of all heavenly rights and treasures to become a man in order to lead us to life through His death and resurrection from the grave, so do we value the way of ministering incarnationally (in the flesh) as we seek to empty ourselves of rights and treasures in order that we may live and minister among those most marginalized by society. It is anticipated that by living life among those we seek to serve the message of the gospel may be all the more demonstrated and thus received for the transformation of lives in the person of Jesus.
As we seek to make disciples of Jesus Christ, our driving values are:
- Serve those on the margins, intentionally engaging communities and individuals in need;
- Ministry is life as we live among and genuinely engage those we serve;
- Be sustainable to ensure the long-term presence of gospel work in the South Side; and
- Choose people over programs, intentionally serve people with the hope of developing authentic relationships to disciple those we befriend.
Statement of Faith
- We believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God. It is God’s revelation of Himself to mankind. Therefore, the Bible is Truth and is our authority in all matters of life and ministry. 1 Thessalonians 2:13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, and 2 Peter 1:12.
- We believe in God revealed in three persons. We believe God is our Creator, and therefore, we are accountable to Him. We believe in God who is both equally and completely loving and holy. Acts 17:24-27, Exodus 34:6-7, and 1 John 4:6.
- We believe that sin entered the world through the Fall of Adam and Eve. We believe that all mankind is conceived and born in this lost and fallen state. We believe that the result of this sin is death and eternal separation from God, our Creator. Genesis 3:1-6, Romans 5:12, 1 John 1:8, Romans 3:23, Hebrews 9:27, Romans 6:23, Matthew 25:32-33, 41.
- We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, sinless life, death, bodily resurrection, personal return and present exaltation at God’s right hand. John 1:1-17, 1 John 3:5, Mark 16:19, Acts 1:11.
- We believe in the resurrection of the saved to everlasting life and joy in heaven and the resurrection of the unsaved onto everlasting punishment. Matthew 25:32-41, 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10, Revelation 20:15, Revelation 21:4.
- We believe in salvation from God’s punishment and to eternal life by God’s grace through faith in the perfect life, substitutionary death and shed blood of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. 1 Peter 1:18-19, 1 Corinthians 15: 3, 1 Peter 3:18.
- We believe that God’s great call and commission to His people is to live lives obedient to His Word and to go into all the world to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ to all people, baptizing and discipling all those who believe. Matthew 28:19-20, Acts 1:8, 1 Thessalonians 4:1-7, 1 Peter 2:9.